Royal London One-Day Cup Review: Part Two

royallondon 2016 web

Welcome to part two of our look back at our 2016 Royal London One-Day Cup campaign.

On July 24th Somerset welcomed Glamorgan to the Cooper Associates County Ground.  The visitors won the toss and elected to field.

Johann Myburgh and Jim Allenby put on 63 for the opening wicket with the latter going on to make 53. It was Peter Trego who was the star of the show though as he blasted his way to 80 from just 76 balls as Somerset posted a total of 322 for seven from our 50 overs.  Craig Overton and Ryan Davies, making his List A debut for the County, also played their part by adding 42.

Trego 50 RLODC

Glamorgan made a brisk start and had reached 68 before Jacques Rudolph attempted a reverse sweep off Roelof van der Merwe only to see it sail to the hands of James Hildreth.  Will Bragg became van der Merwe’s second victim when he was bowled at 96 for two.  This soon became 98 for three when David Lloyd fell for 46.  A sharp shower reduced the total by 10 runs from three less overs.  Former Somerset batsman Colin Ingram and Aneurin Donald kept the visitors in the game with a stand of 69 but both men fell to Overton.  42 from just 26 balls from Andrew Salter gave Glamorgan hope but Somerset eventually dismissed the team from Wales for 279 in the 46th over to win by 33 runs (D/L).  Van der Merwe, Overton and Lewis Gregory all took three wickets for Somerset as we claimed our third win of the competition.

Somerset v Glamorgan 240716 Craig Overton RLODC SPN_5790

Winning captain Jim Allenby said: “I think at half way we felt we were 20 runs short because it was a very good wicket and we were playing against a very good white ball side.  However, I think the game turned when we got Colin Ingram out and then Aneurin Donald quite soon afterwards.  I also felt that we were clinical at the end too. We certainly showed a lot of fight and the spirit in the camp is good. We kept to our plans and as a captain, that makes it a lot easier.”

Two days later Middlesex were the visitors to the Cooper Associates County Ground.

Somerset won the toss and elected to field.  The visitors made a strong start and had amassed 83 before Ryan Higgins was dismissed by Peter Trego who also accounted for his opening partner Paul Stirling at 112 for two.  Wickets then began to fall regularly but 89 from Nick Gubbins and 42 from James Fuller helped Middlesex to 296 for nine from their 50 overs.  Trego finished with impressive figures of two for 27 from six overs whilst Roelof van der Merwe claimed two for 50 from 10.

Chasing 297 for victory Somerset got off to a slow start when Jim Allenby was dismissed without scoring and Johann Myburgh retired hurt with Somerset on 24.  Trego and Mahela Jayawardene added 63 to get Somerset back on track and then Trego and Lewis Gregory added a further 86 as the home batsmen started to take control.  A fifth wicket partnership of 71 between Gregory and van der Merwe put Somerset in sight of victory and it was left to Josh Davey and Craig Overton to see us over the line and take maximum points courtesy of the four wicket win which was achieved with an over to spare.

After his match winning performance Peter Trego said: “It’s always good to get a win and I think that it was pretty important in our quest for qualification, so it was great.  We have been playing well in the 50 over competition this year so its really pleasing to keep that momentum going.  The bowlers did exceptionally well and out there fielding it never really felt like we weren’t in control of the game.”

Sussex were the next visitors to Taunton on July 30th.  Somerset won the toss and elected to bat but we found ourselves struggling on 47 for three as Jofra Archer removed our top three.  However, a maiden List A century from Tom Abell rescued the situation but Somerset were all out for 237 from 48.1 overs.

Somerset need an early breakthrough and it was supplied by Josh Davey who trapped Philip Salt lbw with the score on just one.  The home bowlers were outstanding as they defended the small total and they restricted the visiting batsmen to less than five runs per over.  Ed Joyce and Ajmal Shahzad top scored with 39 but wickets fell at regular intervals ensuring that Somerset restricted Sussex to 227 for nine and therefore won by 10 runs.  This result ensured that Somerset qualified for the quarter-finals.

After the match Tom Abell said: “It doesn’t get much better than that!  I feel absolutely chuffed for the whole squad and the Club and this win means a home quarter final so it has been a really good day.  I think it was a good wicket and they bowled really well to give credit to them.  Cricket is a funny game and we thought we were under par but then we came out and bowled brilliantly and were absolutely awesome in the field.  Credit to all the bowlers and it bodes well for us moving forward.”

The final group match of the campaign saw us travel to Hampshire, win the toss and elect to bat.

Openers Jim Allenby and Mahela Jayawardene both passed the half century mark to give Somerset a strong foundation as they put on 108 for the first wicket.  Peter Trego (31) and Lewis Gregory (28) also made useful contributions as we finished on 250 for nine.


The Somerset bowlers were once again outstanding as only Jimmy Adams (50) and Will Smith (59) really troubled the scorers.  Tim Groenewald was the pick of the Somerset attack as he claimed three for 56 whilst Lewis Gregory, Roelof van der Merwe and Max Waller all claimed two wickets each as Somerset dismissed their hosts for 245 to win by five runs.

At the close of play Jim Allenby said: ““We got off to a really nice start and it was the best time to bat on the pitch with the new ball, especially with it being under covers all night which sometimes suits the team batting because it skids on a bit.  Once again I thought that Mahela played brilliantly.  We bowled nicely and the guys got rewarded.  Once again the spinners bowled brilliantly as they have the whole tournament.”

After topping the South Group, Somerset secured a home quarter-final against Worcestershire and that is where we will begin part three of our Royal London One-Day Cup review on Friday.