Second XI Friendly: Somerset v Glamorgan – Day Three

2nd XI


Somerset had to settle for a draw on the final day of this three-day friendly against Glamorgan at Taunton Vale.

Glamorgan resumed on 139 without loss in their second innings but Ollie Sale claimed two wickets this morning as the visitors eventually declared on 238 for two.

By lunch Somerset had reached 54 for one, requiring a further 339 for victory.

After the break some excellent batting from Eddie Byrom saw him reach his century and at tea Somerset had moved on to 211 for two, needing 182 to win.

In the final session of the day Byrom was eventually dismissed for 154 from 225 balls.  Adam Hose also impressed with 81 as he and Byrom added 192 for the third wicket.

It looked as though the home side may well chase down the total but in the end they reached 385 for nine at the close of play as the match ended in a draw.

To see the scorecard please click here

The Somerset squad is: MarcusTrescothick, Eddie Byrom, Tim Rouse, Adam Hose, Alex Barrow, Sam Underdown, Jack Leach, Fin Trenouth, Kim Leverock, Ollie Sale, Liam Redrup, Joe Gore and Calvin Harrison.

Updates will appear here throughout the day.

Entry and parking at Taunton Vale is free.


Somerset began their first innings when play got underway on day two of this three-day Second XI friendly against Glamorgan at Taunton Vale.

The hosts were replying to Glamorgan’s first innings total of 358 for six declared.

Openers Marcus Trescothick and Eddie Byrom put on 48 for the first wicket as Byrom fell for 18.  Fin Trenouth then went for eight with the score on 58.  Adam Hose (8) and Trescothick (38) were both dismissed with the score on 72.

Sam Underdown and Alex Barrow saw Somerset to lunch with the score on 125 for four.

After the lunch break Barrow went on to make 42 but Somerset were dismissed for 202.

Glamorgan piled the misery on to the hosts and by the time bad light stopped play they had reached 139 without loss, a lead of 293.


Somerset Second XI began a three day friendly match against their Glamorgan counterparts at Taunton Vale this morning at 11am.

Glamorgan won the toss and elected to bat.

Somerset made an early breakthrough when Jeremy Lawlor was caught by Fin Trenouth to give Ollie Sale the first wicket of the match with the score on 13.  However, Connor Brown and Neil Brand ensured that the visitors reached lunch on day one without any further loss and at the break Glamorgan were 93 for one.

It was more of the same from Brown after lunch as he passed his century as Glamorgan reached tea on 232 for two.  Sale was once again the wicket taker for Somerset when he bowled Brand for 36 with the score on 93.

In the final session of the day Brown was eventually dismissed for 139 when he was caught and bowled by Calvin Harrison.  Tom Cullen made a useful 84 until Liam Redrup dismissed him.

By the close of play Glamorgan had reached 358 for six declared.