Quarter Finals to remember


With our Royal London One-Day Cup Quarter Final against Worcestershire now just days away we are looking back at some of our most famous last eight encounters since the introduction of the one-day game back in 1963.

1979 – Big Bird Destroys Kent

Somerset notched up our first ever success back in 1979 when we won the Gillette Cup, which was then 60 overs per side, by beating Northamptonshire at Lords by 45 runs.  On the way to that never to be forgotten day Somerset beat Kent at Taunton in the Quarter Final on August 8th.

Watched by a capacity crowd, Somerset won the toss and opted to bat first but lost two early wickets to Graham Dilley.  Worse was to follow and Somerset found themselves 45 for four. Viv Richards (44) and Ian Botham (29) doubled the score before a further three wickets tumbled which saw Somerset reduced to 110 for seven.  Thankfully the ever-reliable Graham Burgess dug in and remained unbeaten on 50 which enabled Somerset to reached 190 all out in the final over.

Any anxieties the home fans had were laid to rest when Joel Garner reduced Kent to 19 for four from which they never recovered and they were eventually all out for 60.

Garner ended with amazing figures of 9.4 overs, two maidens, five wickets for 11 runs to lift the Man of the Match Award while Botham claimed three for 16 from 10.


1983 – Big Bird and Beefy send Somerset Through

Four years later Somerset were on the road to Lord’s again, where this time they beat Kent in the final.

Before that however Somerset had to travel to Hove to face Sussex in the last eight.

After being put in Sussex, who included Dermott Reeve in their line up, were bundled out for 65 in 40.4 overs with Garner and Botham claiming four wickets each whilst wicket-keeper Trevor Gard claimed five catches.

Ian Botham

Somerset reached 69 for three in 29.5 overs, which included 28 from Jeremy Lloyds before he retired hurt and 23 from Richards.

At the end of this dramatic victory Gard, who had for a long time waited for his chance, was named as Man of the Match.

2001 –  Burns Blasts Somerset to Victory

Somerset supporters had to wait a long time, 18 years in fact, until they lifted the premier one-day cup again at Lord’s, by which time it had become a 50-over competition and was known as the Cheltenham and Gloucester Trophy.

In the Quarter Final Somerset made the trip to Canterbury to face Kent where, batting first, the visitors posted 263 for eight of which Mike Burns hit 71 and Ian Blackwell 50.

Mike Burns

When Kent replied they were bowled out for 211 in 46.2 overs with Keith Parsons taking three for 38 from his 10 overs whilst there were two each for Andy Caddick and Richard Johnson.

At the end of the game Mike Burns was named as the Man of the Match.

There will be three more classic Quarter Finals added to the website tomorrow.