Quarter Finals to remember: Part Two


Over the years Somerset have been involved with many thrilling quarter final matches in one-day cricket and in our second installment ahead of tomorrow’s big game with Worcestershire Rapids we look back at three more.

1994 – Caddick Too Good For Surrey

In 1994′s NatWest Trophy competition Somerset hosted Surrey at Taunton in the last eight where the start was delayed by rain until 2.30pm.

After being put in to bat Somerset found themselves 63 for three before Richard Harden with 33 and Chris Tavare, 29, added 65 together.  Later in the innings Mushtaq Ahmed hit a rapid 35 off 31 balls and Andre van Troost’s five ball innings of 17 helped the hosts reach 230 for nine.

When Surrey replied they looked well placed at 102 for one but then slumped to 187 all out with 19 balls remaining.  Andy Caddick was the main man with the ball for Somerset as he took five for 31.


1999 – Cox and Holloway See Somerset Through

In 1999 Jamie Cox had arrived on the scene to captain Somerset and once again the Club performed well in the NatWest Trophy.

The Quarter Final saw Somerset host Kent who were put into bat first on a good wicket at Taunton.

The visitors batted steadily throughout their innings and a fifth wicket partnership of 118, which included 73 from Matthew Jarvis, enabled them to reach 264 for five.  Andy Caddick was again the pick of the home bowlers ending with two for 28 from his 10 overs, four of which were maidens.

Cox led from the top when his side replied and after losing Peter Bowler on 18 he added 77 for the second wicket  with Piran Holloway before being dismissed for 73.

Marcus Trescothick made 38 and Rob Turner 24 not out as Somerset reached 266 for six with almost four overs left, Holloway ending unbeaten on 75.

Jamie Cox2 Holloway

2002 – Parsons Stars in Somerset Win

In the Quarter Final of the C&G Trophy in 2002 Somerset hosted Worcestershire who, after being put into bat first, were given a good start by opener Vikram Solanki who hit 53 and skipper Graeme Hick who made 39 as they raced to 142 for two in 20 overs.

However, three wickets for Steffan Jones and two each for Mike Burns and Keith Parsons clawed it back and the visitors were eventually all out for 271 in 49 overs, which included an unbeaten 85 from Ben Smith.

Somerset lost two early wickets and could have been in trouble as Trescothick had broken a thumb fielding off Hick earlier in the day.

However, Parsons hit 121 off 100 balls and was ably assisted by Rob Turner who hit 47 as Somerset chased down their total for the loss of six wickets in the 48th over.

K Parsons

Hopefully this weeks Quarter Final will be another that lives long in the memory!

Tickets for our match against Worcestershire Rapids are still available and can be purchased by clicking here